Determination of fatty acid composition in relation to the growth of meagre (Argyrosomus regius) cultured in net cages

  • Birol Baki Department of Aquaculture, Fisheries Faculty, Sinop University, Turkey
  • Dilara Kaya Öztürk Department of Aquaculture, Fisheries Faculty, Sinop University, Turkey
  • Murat Kerim Department of Aquaculture, Fisheries Faculty, Sinop University, Turkey
Keywords: Argyrosomus regius, meagre, fatty acid, EPA, DHA

Abstract

The aim of this study was to determine the composition of fatty acids of meagre (Argyrosomus regius) produced in net cages at a private company in the Aegean Sea. Regular samples were taken over the study period by random sampling for the estimation of fatty acid contents. At the end of the study, the highest mean (± SD) fatty acids in fish flesh were recorded as oleic acid (26.46 ± 0.01%), linoleic acid (20.91 ± 0.01%) and palmitic acid (15.99 ± 0.01%). Mean (± SD) total saturated (SFA), monounsaturated (MUFA) and polyunsaturated (PUFA) fatty acid values were determined as 26.17 ± 0.03%, 32.62 ± 0.03% and 31.24 ± 0.01% respectively. The total values of omega-3, omega-6, omega-9, eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) were 8.73 ± 0.01 – 14.51 ± 0.04%, 18.78 ± 0.03 – 25.26 ± 0.01%, 27.12 ± 0.01 – 30.5 ± 0.01%, 1.39 ± 0.01 – 3.52 ± 0.01% and 4.24 ± 0.01 – 7.64 ± 0.01% respectively and all these values varied significantly over time (P < 0.05). Despite having a low crude fat content, the meagre could be a good source of PUFA, in terms of fatty acids.

References

Alvarez V, Medina I, Prego R and Auburg SP (2009) Lipid and mineral distribution in different zones of farmed and wild blackspot seabream (Pagellus bogaraveo). European Journal of Lipid Science & Technology 111: 957–966.

Anonymous (2018) Republic of Turkey Ministry of Agriculture and Foresrty. General Directorate of Fisheries and Aquaculture. http://www.tarim.gov.tr/sgb/Belgeler/SagMenuVeriler/BSGM.pdf (in Turkish).

AOAC (2000) Official methods of analysis. Gaithersburg, MD: Association of Official Analytical Chemists.

Baki B, Gönener S and Kaya D (2015) Comparison of food, amino acid and fatty acid compositions of wild and cultivated sea bass (Dicentrarchus labrax, L., 1758). Turkish Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 15: 175–179.

Baki B, Kaya Öztürk D and Kerim M (2018) Determinantion of growth and nutrıent composıtıon values in meagre (Argyrosomus regıus) aquaculture. International Journal of Ecosystems and Ecology Science (IJEES) 8(2): 257–262.

Benedito-Palos L, Navarro JC, Bermejo-Nogales A, Saera-Vila A, Kaushik S and Perez-Sanchez J (2009) The time course of fish oil wash-out follows a simple dilution model in gilthead sea bream (Sparus aurata L.) fed graded levels of vegetable oils. Aquaculture 288: 98–105.

Çaklı Ş (2007) Su Ürünleri İşleme Teknolojisi. Ege Üniversitesi basımevi Bornova, İzmir ISBN: 978-975-483-761-2. 696 s. (in Turkish)

Chaguri MP, Maulvault AL, Costa S, Gonçalves A, Nunes ML and Carvalho ML (2017) Chemometrics tools to distinguish wild and farmed meagre (Argyrosomus regius). Journal of Food Processing and Preservation 41(6): e13312.

Chatzifotis S, Panagiotidou M, Papaioannou N, Pavlidis M, Nengas I and Mylonas CC (2010) Effect of dietary lipid levels on growth, feed utilization, body composition and serum metabolites of meagre (Argyrosomus regius) juveniles. Aquaculture 307: 65–70.

Codier M, Brichon G, Weber JM and Zwingelstein G (2002) Changes in the fatty acid composition of phospholipids in tissues of farmed sea bass (Dicentrarchus labrax) during an annual cycle. Roles of environmental temperature and salinity. Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology - Part B: Biochemistry & Molecular Biology 133: 281–288.

Costa S, Afonso C, Bandarra NM, Gueifao S, Castanheira I, Carvalho ML, Cardoso C and Nunes ML (2013) The emerging farmed fish species meagre (Argyrosomus regius): how culinary treatment affects nutrients and contaminants concentration and associated benefit-risk balance. Food and Chemical Toxicology 60: 277–285.

El Kertaoui N, Hernández-Cruz CM, Montero D, Caballero MJ, Saleh R, Afonso JM and Izquierdo M (2017) The importance of dietary HUFA for meagre larvae (Argyrosomus regius; Asso, 1801) and its relation with antioxidant vitamins E and C. Aquaculture Research 48: 419–433.

Emre Y, Kurtoğlu A, Emre N, Güroy B and Güroy D (2016) Effect of replacing dietary fish oil with soybean oil on growth performance, fatty acid composition and haematological parameters of juvenile meagre, Argyrosomus regius. Aquaculture Research 47(7): 2256–2265.

FAO (2018) Food and Agriculture Organisation of the United Nations. http://www.fao.org/figis/servlet/SQServlet?file=/usr/local/tomcat/8.5.16/figis/webapps/figis/temp/hqp_1250006971320136338.xml&outtype=html (Access date: 11.06.2019)

FAO (2019a) Food and Agriculture Organisation of the United Nations. http://www.fao.org/fishery/culturedspecies/Argyrosomus_regius/en (Access date: 25.03.2019)

FAO (2019b) Food and Agriculture Organisation of the United Nations. http://www.fao.org/figis/servlet/SQServlet?file=/usr/local/tomcat/8.5.16/figis/webapps/figis/temp/hqp_3017710541431993110.xml&outtype=html (Access date: 11.06.2019)

Firestone D and Horwitz W (1979) IUPAC Gaz chromatographic method for determination of fatty acid composition: collaborative study. Journal - Association of Official Analytical Chemists 62: 709–721.

Fountoulaki E, Grigorakis K, Kounna C, Rigos G, Papandroulakis N, Diakogeorgakis J and Kokou F (2017) Growth performance and product quality of meagre (Argyrosomus regius) fed diets of different protein/lipid levels at industrial scale. Italian Journal of Animal Science 16(4): 685–694.

Garcia Mesa S, Suarez MD, Rincon Cervera MA, Guil Guerrero JL, Gonzalez G, Cardenas S and Garcia Gallego M (2014) Time course of muscle fatty acid composition of cultured meagre (Argyrosomus regius) during the first sixteen months of a cage culture. Grasas y Aceites 65(1): e006.

Giogios I, Grigorakis K and Kalogeropoulos N (2013) Organoleptic and chemical quality of farmed meagre (Argyrosomus regius) as affected by size. Food Chemistry 141: 3153–3159.

Grigorakis K (2007) Compositional and organoleptic quality of farmed and wild gilthead sea bream (Sparus aurata) and sea bass (Dicentrarchus labrax) and factors affecting it: a review. Aquaculture 272: 55–75.

Grigorakis K, Alexis MN, Taylor KDA and Hole M (2002) Comparison of wild and cultured gilthead sea bream (Sparus aurata); composition appearance and seasonal variations. International Journal of Food Science & Technology 37: 477–484.

Grigorakis K, Fountoulaki E, Vasilaki A, Mittakos I and Nathanailides C (2011) Lipid quality and filleting yield of reared meagre (Argyrosomus regius). International Journal of Food Science and Technology 46: 711–716.

Herndandez MD, Lopez MB, Alvarez A, Ferrandini E, Garcia Garcia B and Garrido MD (2009) Sensory, physical, chemical and microbiological changes in aquacultured meagre (Argyrosomus regius) fillets during ice storage. Food Chemistry 114: 237–245.

Hossain MA (2011) Fish as source of n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs), which one is better-farmed or wild. Advance Journal of Food Science and Technology 3(6): 455–466.

Ibeas C, Cejas JR, Fores R, Badia P, Gomez T and Hemindez AL (1997) Influence of eicosapentaenoic to docosahexaenoic acid ratio (EPA/DHA) of dietary lipids on growth and fatty acid composition of gilthead seabream (Sparus aurata) juveniles. Aquaculture 150: 91–102.

Izquierdo MS and Koven W (2011). Lipids. In: J Holt (ed) Larval fish nutrition, pp. 47–82. Wiley-Blackwell, Oxford, UK.

Kalogeropoulos N, Andrikopoulos NK and Hasapidou M (2004) Dietary evaluation of Mediterranean fish and mollusks pan-fried in virgin olive oil. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture 84: 1750–1758.

Lenas DS, Triantafillou DJ, Chatziantoniou S and Nathanailides C (2011) Fatty acid profile of wild and farmed gilthead sea bream (Sparus aurata). Journal of Consumer Protection and Food Safety 6: 435–440.

Lozano AR, Borges P, Robaina L, Betancor M, Hernandez-Cruz CM, Romero Garcia J, Caballero MJ, Vergara JM and Izquierdo M (2017) Effect of different dietary vitamin E levels on growth, fish composition, fillet quality and liver histology of meagre (Argyrosomus regius). Aquaculture 468: 175–183.

Martelli R, Dalle Zotte A, Bonelli A, Lupi P, Franci O and Parisi G (2013) Macronutrient and fatty acid profiles of meagre (Argyrosomus regius) fillets as influenced by harvesting time and boiling. Italian Journal of Animal Science. 12(e88): 538–545.

Martinez-Llorens S, Espert J, Moya J, Cerda MJ and Tomas-Vidal A (2011) Growth and nutrient efficiency of meagre (Argyrosomus regius, Asso 1801) fed extruded diets with different protein and lipid levels. International Journal of Fisheries and Aquaculture 3(10): 195–203.

Monfort MC (2010) Present market situation and prospects of meagre (Argyrosomus regius), as an emerging species in Mediterranean aquaculture. Studies and Reviews. General Fisheries Commission for the Mediterranean, 28. No. 89. Rome, FAO.

Nasopoulou and Zabetakis I (2012) Benefits of fish oil replacement by plant originated oils in compounded fish feed. LWT-Food Science and Technology 47: 217–224.

Orban E, Nevigato T, Dilena G, Casini I and Marzetti A (2003) Differentiation in the lipid quality of wild and farmed sea bass (Dicentrarchus labrax) and gilthead sea bream (Sparus aurata). Journal of Food Science 68: 128–132.

Özden Ö and Erkan N (2008) Comparison of biochemical composition of three aqua cultured fishes (Dicentrarchus labrax, Sparus aurata, Dentex dentex). International Journal of Food Sciences and Nutrition 59: 545–557.

Piccolo G, Bovera F, De Riu N, Marono S, Salati F, Cappuccinelli R and Moniello G (2008) Effect of two different protein/fat ratios of the diet on meagre (Argyrosomus regius) traits. Italian Journal of Animal Science 7: 363–371.

Pickova J and Morkoro I (2007) Alternate oils in fish feeds. European Journal of Lipid Science and Technology 109: 256–263.

Poli BM, Parisi G, Zampacavallo G, Iurzan F, Mecatti F, Lupi P and Bonelli A (2003) Preliminary results on quality and quality changes in reared meagre (Argyrosomus regius): body and fillet traits and freshness changes in refrigerated commercial-size fish. Aquaculture International 11: 301–311.

Ribeiro L, Soare L, Quental-Ferreira H, Goncaves A and Pousao-Ferreira P (2013) Portuguese research studies meagre production in earthen ponds. Global Aquaculture Advocate 16: 38–40.

Rigos G and Katharios P (2010) Pathological obstacles of newly-introduced fish species in Mediterranean mariculture: a review. Reviews in Fish Biology and Fisheries 20: 47–70.

Rodriguez Lozano A, Borges P, Robaina L, Betancor M and Hernandez-Cruz CM (2017) Effect of different dietary vitamin E levels on growth, fish composition, fillet quality and liver histology of meagre (Argyrosomus regius). Aquaculture 468: 175–183.

Saavedra M, Pereir TG, Grade A, Barbeiro M, Pousao-Ferreira P, Quentral-Ferreir H, Nunes ML, Bandarra N and Gonçalves A (2015) Farmed meagre, Argyrosomus regius of three different sizes: what are the differences in flesh quality and muscle cellularity? International Journal of Food Science and Technology 50: 1311–1316.

Saavedra M, Pereira TG, Carvalho LM, Pousao-Ferreira P, Grade A, Teixeira B, Quental-Ferreira H, Mendes R, Bandarra N and Gonçalves A (2017) Wild and farmed meagre, Argyrosomus regius: a nutritional, sensory and histological assessment of quality differences. Journal of Food Composition and Analysis 63: 8–14.

Shirai N, Suzuki H, Toukairin S and Wada S (2001) Spawning and season affect lipid content and fatty acid composition of ovary and liver in Japanese catfish (Silurus asotus). Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology Part B 129: 185–195.

Sinanoglou VJ, Proestos C, Lantzouraki DZ, Calokerinos A and Miniadis-Meimaroglou S (2014) Lipid evaluaation of farmed and wild meagre (Argyrosomus regius). European Journal of Lipid Science and Technology 116: 134–143.

Trushenski J, Schwarz M, Lewis H, Laporte J, Delbos B, Takeuchi R and Sampaio LA (2011) Effect of replacing dietary fish oil with soybean oil on production performance and fillet lipid and fatty acid composition of juvenile cobia Rachycentron canadum. Aquaculture Nutrition 17: e437–e447.

Wang Y, Yu S, Ma G, Chen S, Shi Y and Yang Y (2014) Comparative tudy of proximate composition and amino acid content in farmed and wild Pseudobagrus ussuriensis muscles. International Journal of Food Science & Technology 49(4): 983–989.

Published
2019-06-18
How to Cite
Baki, B., Öztürk, D. K., & Kerim, M. (2019). Determination of fatty acid composition in relation to the growth of meagre (Argyrosomus regius) cultured in net cages. Journal of Fisheries, 7(2), 685-691. Retrieved from http://journal.bdfish.org/index.php/fisheries/article/view/JFish_333